Sunday, January 22, 2017

The Great Kindness Challenge


This week I won't be teaching Kindergarten.  This week I'll be teaching KINDergarten.

January 23-27, 2017 my school will be participating in The Great Kindness Challenge. Check out the event website- it's loaded with activities and resources!  Each day this week has a different kindness theme, complete with wardrobe options to match (we all know Kinder teachers are great at dressing up- it's basically an unofficial requirement for this grade level).

I was a fan when I heard of the idea of a week devoted to Kindness.  After checking into the program I discovered that one of the bigger sponsors is Peaceable Kingdom.  Peaceable Kingdom is my favorite company for the cooperative games.  Check them out here!  The games are age appropriate and entertaining.  The games are also made from recycled materials and parts are replaceable (just call the company- they are super helpful and 'get' the mystery of where game pieces disappear to within classroom walls.)  I reviewed the company a few years ago, I still think they're fabulous!

I don't have too many exact plans worked out, yet (the inspiration moments that happen in the shower or on the way to school haven't hit yet).  Here are the two ideas I have plotted out on my particularly blank plan book for next week.
  • One of my lessons is going to be to make a Kindness Quilt (out of paper).  We'll be reading the book The Kindness Quilt and making our own quilt as a class. When I was in Kindergarten my teacher had an annual family project where each Kinder's family decorated a fabric square which was sewn into an actual quilt.  I have always wanted to bring that project back and feel that this paper quilt may eventually become my version.  For now, this is an in-school project.  
  • We're also participating in a door decorating contest (school wide) where our classroom door will be transformed from sparkly snowflakes to a, "flurry of kindness."  (Taking down all of the snowflakes to put them back up in a week just isn't a good use of any of my prep blocks- this would be an example of 'working with what you've got').

So what will you be teaching?  Ready for the challenge to teach KINDergarten? You've got this!


No comments:

Post a Comment